You are on page 1of 1

CHEMICAL HAZARD BULLETIN NO.

237
SULFUR DIOXIDE
Health Fire Reactivity GAS/MISTS: 3 0 2 HAZARDOUS GAS COLORLESS GAS, WITH "NOTICEABLE & SUFFOCATING ODOR. HIGHLY TOXIC. MODERATELY REACTIVE. NON-FLAMMABLE. CORROSIVE TO BODY TISSUES. CAS: UN: GUIDE: EAC: 7446-09-5 1079 125 2RE

INHALATION:

EYE/ SKIN:

INGESTION:

Major air pollutant as well as occupational hazard (TLV=2ppm, STEL-TLV=5ppm; IDLH: 100 ppm). Synonymous include sulfurous anhydride, sulfurous oxide. EFFECTS OF OVER-EXPOSURE: Gas and mists are corrosive and irritating to the upper and lower respiratory tract and all mucosal tissues. Symptoms include nose and throat irritation, becoming steadily worse, suffocating and painful; irritation extends to the chest causing a cough reflex which may be violent and painful, and include the discharge of blood or vomiting with eventual collapse. Chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema may result from exposure to the lower respiratory tract and deep lung. High concentrations may be fatal due to spasm, inflammation and edema of the lungs. Corrosive and irritating to the eyes. Contact with the liquid or vapor causes painful burns and ulcerations. Burns to the eyes result in lesions and possible loss of vision. Corrosive and irritating to the skin and all living tissue. Toxic level exposure to dermal tissue causes acid-like burns and skin lesions resulting in early necrosis and scarring. Ingestion unlikely. Gas at room temperature. WEAR RECOMMENDED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

health hazards fire and reactivity handling, storage & disposal

The product is not flammable. Fire fighters must wear SCBA and protective clothing. Fire produces carbon, sulfur and nitrogen oxides, and also toxic gases, vapors, fumes, and smoke. Closed containers may rupture in fire conditions. Cool containers exposed to flames with water spray until well after the fire is out. REACTIVITY: Reacts with water and moisture in air to form sulfurous acid. Incompatible with peroxides, chromates, bichromates, permanganates and oxygen difluoride. EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: SUITABLE FOR SURROUNDING FIRE USAGE: STORAGE/ TRANSPORT: SPILLS/ LEAKS: DISPOSAL: SAFETY EQUIPMENT: General air and occupational pollutant. Avoid breathing gas and mists and avoid eye and skin contact. NO SMOKING. Provide adequate and local exhaust ventilation. Store in a ventilated, cool, dry area, away from incompatible materials and conditions. Keep tightly closed when not in use. For transportation, use DOT-IMO Class 2.3 hazardous warning labels (diamond): FLAMMABLE GAS. Evacuate unauthorized personnel. For large leak, evacuate and ventilate till gas dissipate. Dike to prevent formed acids entry into sewer. For small spills, absorb in dry sand or earth. Shovel and place into clean, dry, labeled containers. Flush with plenty of water to clean spillage area. Toxic to aquatic organisms. For proper disposal methods and locations for the chemical or chemical contaminated material, contact the Environmental Engineering Division at 874-6426 or 874-6428. Provide ventilation to control overexposure and eye and skin contact. Safety goggles (1000129810) and neoprene (1000129418) or PVC (1000129492) gloves and an apron (1000128583) must be worn when handling this material. APR (1000128213) or SCBA (1000127427) should be worn if conditions warrant. Maintain an eyewash fountain and emergency shower (1000128433) where the material is being stored/used. USE CONFINED SPACE ENTRY PROCEDURES IF APPLICABLE Move affected person to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. If breathing has stopped, give cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Keep person warm and quiet. Flush eyes with large amounts of water for 15 minutes. Lift eyelids occasionally. Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes promptly, and wash clothing before re-use. DO NOT induce vomiting. Aspiration of material into the lungs can cause chemical pneumonitis, which can be fatal. Wash out mouth thoroughly. Drink one-two glasses of water to dilute. Keep person warm and quiet. GET MEDICAL AID IMMEDIATELY (CALL 110)

INHALATION: EYE / SKIN CONTACT: INGESTION:

first aid

For further information call Industrial Hygiene: 872-2619 (DH), 678-4868 (RT), 572-1449 (ABQ) or 427-0155 (JID) Hazard Ratings: 0=Insignificant, 1=Slight, 2=Moderate, 3=High, 4=Extreme First Print: 12/18/2004